Sunday, December 17, 2006

There is always something going on in Dutch/Unalaska

Well I am getting settled in to life here in the Aleutians. Went on a great hike this last weekend with my preceptor and his family. It was absolutely beautiful.....the weather changes here every 15 minutes, so a hike in the sun can quickly turn into wind and rain.


I did get to go to the jail and give a prisoner an injection. I don't ever want to go to jail. When the door closed behind me in the cell, that was enough for me!
Yesterday a patient came in from one of the crab boats that is being filmed for the Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel. So keep your eyes peeled if you watch the show. I had to sign a release so I'm on a little bit of the footage!

And now for the story behind my new nickname at the clinic Dunkin Donuts Miller. A patient of ours came in to have an infection looked at and he offered to take me on a boat tour. He works on a fishing boat that also does processing. So Dr. Baines thought it would be a good idea for me to get an idea of what people are doing when they injure themselves at work and come into the clinic. So I was very appreciative that they let me go on the boat so I brought along a box of donuts for the crew, because as you know I love donuts. We had to cross over 2 boats to get to the patient's boat. He was ahead of me as we were crossing from boat #2 to #3.....lost his balance with the donuts in his hand and fell overboard!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe. The crew got him out, he was probably in the water for 2 minutes or so and then they took him inside to warm him up......so there ya go, Dunkin Donuts Miller :)
It has finally snowed here! But nothing that sticks....but it is gorgeous in the mountains around us!!
Got to get back to it! Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment