Saturday, January 6, 2007

1 down 3 to go...

See it can be cloudy here!

Oh Beautiful Kona


My place...small and cozy

Well I am finally settled in to my place here in South Kona. It's pretty small, feels like dorm life again. But hey it's cheap, clean, close to the beach and hospital! I am literally 1 block off of the main street that goes through the touristy area of Kona on Ali'i Dr.
So far surgery has been pretty incredible. It is very different from my previous rotations, I felt really out of place the first day :) But once I saw how things run and who does what it has been nothing but enjoyable. Yesterday was the first day that I got to scrub in and actually help out with surgery. I had my hand in a man's abdomen....incredible! And I didn't ruin the sterile field, which let me tell ya I was worried about....we all know I am the clumsy one and somehow I managed to harness it! The surgeons were removing most of his stomach due to cancer and this surgery would add a few months to his life.
I only worked Wed-Fri this week so I'm not sure exactly how the weeks to follow are going to go, but it seems I will be spending most of my time in the OR or on the medical surgical floor with my preceptor. If my preceptor does not have surgery I round with him first thing in the morning to check on his patients and then go up to the OR and see if I can watch any of the surgeries on the board. If my preceptor has surgery then I scrub in for sure.

It is a small hospital, which I am really growing to love. I don't see myself working in a large hospital or clinic at all. There are 3 operating rooms and they are all next to each other. Everyone knows each other and has a great sense of humor.


I don't know how I keep lucking out with all of these great rotations. My preceptor is another very laid back person who likes to joke around. I think these next 3 weeks are going to fly by, which is great cause I can't wait to see my Greg again! But we both agree it would be better if he were here and not freezing at home :)


It has been so great to hear from everyone! It can be hard sometimes being totally alone out here in the middle of the Pacific. I don't have the small community feel of Unalaska out here :) But it keeps me working out way more than normal, so that is a plus!


Hope everyone is enjoying the new year.

Have a wonderful day!!

:) Natalie



No comments:

Post a Comment